Did you know that 30-40% of the world’s population live with an allergic disease?*
Here in Australia and New Zealand 1 in 50 children will be diagnosed with a cows’ milk protein allergy (ASCIA)
Some allergies may go unnoticed while others can be life-threatening. In particular, food allergies such as cow’s milk allergy (CMA) can be particularly challenging as symptoms can be varied and it can be difficult to identify the cause when symptoms are treated separately.
The average time to diagnosis of CMA is 4 months, requiring more than 18 visits to a healthcare professional before a diagnosis is determined13. During this period, the impact on infants and their carers extends beyond symptoms alone, impacting physical, psychological and financial aspects of their lives. These impacts create a strong rationale for developing effective strategies for infants at risk of and with cow’s milk allergy.
The food allergy burden goes beyond symptoms
The impact of food allergies on patients and their families
World Allergy Week: Prevalence of Food Allergies
Cows’ Milk Allergy Patient Journey to Recovery
Become an Allergy Expert
Gut dysbiosis and cows’ milk protein allergy (CMPA) — is there a link?
Tools for Diagnosis
*. World Health Organization. White Book on Allergy 2011-2012 Executive Summary. By Prof. Ruby Pawankar, MD, PhD, Prof. Giorgio Walkter Canonica, MD, Prof. Stephen T. Holgate, BSc, MD, DSc, FMed Sci and Prof. Richard F. Lockey, MD.
1. Canani RB, et al. ISME J. 2016;10(3):742–750.
2. Thompson-Chagoyan OC, et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2010;21(2p2):e394–e400.
3. Candy DCA, et al. Pediatr Res. 2018;83(3):677–686.
5. Vighi G, et al. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008;153(SUPPL. 1):3–6.
6. West CE, et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;135(1):3–13.
7. Walker WA, et al. Pediatr Res. 2015;77(1):220–228.
8. Neu J, et al. Clin Perinatol. 2011;38(2):321–331.
9. Ahmadizar F, et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2017;28(5):430–437.
10. Patel MM, et al. Environ Res. 2011;111(8):1222–1229.
11. Ryan PH, et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005;116(2):279–284.
12. Ryan PH et al. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180(11):1068–1075.
13. Lozinsky AC, Meyer R, Anagnostou K, et al. Children (Basel). 2015;2(3):317‐329. Published 2015