Reflux happens when the valve at the base of your baby’s food pipe has not fully developed yet, so milk can come back up easily. There are a number of other factors which may also play a part in the development of reflux, including:
- Babies spend a lot of their time lying down
- Their diet is mostly made up of fluid
- They have a short food pipe
- Their digestive system is still maturing
- Too much milk or food in one go may cause a problem.
You might be interested in
Try Our Baby Symptom Checker
6 common concerns you may have about your baby
Even healthy babies can have feeding and digestion problems. Misunderstanding the signs and treating the symptoms can get in the way of a happy household.