The benefits of breast feeding for baby
- It's completely natural
- It's easy to digest
- It provides the best nutrition for your baby
- It helps to support their immune system
- Breast feeding helps your baby grow!
Breast feeding is great for mum, too!
- It's ready to go when you are
- It's exactly the right temperature
- There's no need to sterilise bottles
- It helps to reduce your loss of calcium
- It helps you bond with your baby
- It may help to get you back to your pre-pregnancy weight
In preparation for and during breast feeding, it's important that mums eat a healthy, balanced diet.
Combined breast and bottle feeding in the first weeks of life may reduce the supply of your own breast milk, and reversing the decision not to breast feed is difficult. If you're thinking about bottle feeding your baby, always seek professional advice first - from your doctor, midwife or healthcare professional.